Wednesday, February 15, 2012

(Blog 5) Wikipedia Proposal


For my Wikipedia post, I’m going to be editing the Capoeira page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira.  I decided to make specific changes under the subsection: Instruments: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira#Instruments.  Here I will talk about the different rhythms or “toques” as it’s called in Portuguese that is played within the Roda de Capoeira.  I will also write about how the Berimbau (the main instrument) leads the rest of the “bateria” or the band through these rhythms.  I will write about my favorite rhythms and the ones that are most frequently played within the Roda.  These rhythms determine the feel and flow of the whole Roda.  One of my favorite “toques” is the Iuna and Cavalaria. 
On the videos below you can see these “toques” being played by an Orchestra full of kids in Brazil.  These videos are a real site to see.  For those of us that know how prevalent violence and lack of education can be in 3rd world countries; we can rejoice by seeing kids being giving an opportunity and a different outlook in life through Capoeira.  These kids have been rescued from possible life threatening situations and given the opportunity to dream of a better future.  Hope you guys enjoy! 
Iuna:


Cavalaria:

Some of the links I will use:

No comments:

Post a Comment